IMPORTANT: To view a complete, regularly-updated listing of my Eclectarium blog's articles (each one instantly clickable), please click HERE!
IMPORTANT: To view a complete, regularly-updated listing of my ShukerNature blog's articles (each one instantly clickable), please click HERE!
IMPORTANT: To view a complete, regularly-updated listing of my Starsteeds blog's poetry and other lyrical writings (each one instantly clickable), please click HERE!

Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 August 2011

DISCOVERING THE BIRD OF DREAMS


Browsing through the books in a local charity shop yesterday, I noticed an anthology of short verses by Patience Strong, entitled Thoughts For Every Day. Opening it entirely at random, my gaze fell upon the following poem, ‘The Bird of Dreams’, which I had never previously read but which so captivated me upon doing so that I took the volume to the counter and paid for it straight away– a delightful new addition to my bookshelf to be treasured over the years, a bright new seashell encountered by chance but gathered up with joy from the infinite seashore of Life.


THE BIRD OF DREAMS - Patience Strong

When the house is quiet with the coming of the night -
Wrapped about in rosy veils of softly fading light.
The Bird of Dreams on silent wings comes to my windowsill.
The clock chimes out the sunset hour, but Time itself stands still.
Years are moments. In a flash I live the past again.
I hear a voice, I see a face. I feel the joy and pain,
As if it were but yesterday. What is this magic power -
That calls up ghosts out of the shadows of the evening hour?
I light the lamp, and in the dazzle of the sudden glare -
The vision goes. I look around, and there is no one there.
But through the window in the dark, beyond the lamp's bright ray -
I see the Bird of Dreams spread out its wings and fly away.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this poem, I think it's beautiful. Thank you for publishing. I also like your comment about how you got it. Very interesting! I came to this page from Wikipedia where I was reading about Edgar Allan Poe and his poem "The crow". Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very difficult to put a comment here. This is my third intent.
    What I said is that I like this poem very much. It's beautiful. I also like your story about how you got it. I came to your page through Wikipedia where I was reading about Edgar A. Poe and his poem "The Crowd". Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much for your comments, and I'm delighted to learn that you like this poem so much. When I bought the book containing it, I was with my dear mother, enjoying a very happy afternoon browsing around the shops in a high street not far from where we lived. Sadly, Mom passed away over 4 years ago now, but I still have the book, and it, together in particular with this specific poem, always reminds me of that lovely afternoon that we spent together, back in the good old days.

    ReplyDelete